Thursday, 17 January 2013

Song Choices--Choosing Repertoire

For my performance on the bridge, I have chosen to do these two songs:

  • 'Sparrow' by Miika 153--Original Version
  • 'My Favourite Things' Words by Oscar Hammerstein II, music by Richard Rodgers--Jazz arrangement
The reason I have chosen 'Sparrow' is because it is a challenge and not normally something I would play. There are big leaps in the right hand and some of the syncopation is difficult, for example at 0:37. There are certain parts within the song that I will have to practice more than others, as they are more difficult and technically challenging. I can do this by listening to the song and making sure that I know it inside out. In addition to this, the tempo changes throughout the song because it is not played with a metronome, so I will have to learn to play along with the song to make sure I get the tempo right, an example is at 0:51.

I have chosen this piano piece over others because I felt like I wanted to be able to play it and I felt emotionally attached to it. When I first heard, I cried because it is a beautiful piano piece and something I aspire to play.





The reason I have chosen 'My Favourite Things' is because it is out of my comfort zone and something I would have never thought of singing. I will have to practice breathing in the right places and my diction as the song is very well pronounced. Because I have chosen to do a jazz arrangement of it, it will be a challenge as I have never sung the genre of jazz before and will have to learn the style of it. I will need to listen the whole song and learn the words and make sure I know it very well so I can adapt to singing it in the style of jazz. I will have to think about my stage presence as it is an important part of my performance. I should watch some performances of this song and try and apply this to my performance.

I have chosen this piece over others because I really like the song and want to perform it. This song amongst others stood out because I don't normally like songs in musicals but this one I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment