Thursday, 28 February 2013

Performance Review Evaluation

Link to my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VuJcin79VI&list=PLUwncSquNfWySAUHJD2nVa6njPIDGzg9L&index=9


Watching this back, it didn't go as bad as I thought at the time but there still many things I need to improve on.

Strengths:
When I started the piece, it went well as there were no hesitations and practiced it many times which had obviously paid off. I think this is because when I practice I tend to go back to the beginning which would show why I'm good at it. Also, there were some good elements of playing within the whole piece and that shows the practice I put into certain areas of the piece and this is because of my practice schedule which is practising certain areas numerous times. When I did go wrong, I did carry on playing which helped instead of just stopping completely and starting again.

Weaknesses:
However, there were many hesitations and the piece gradually slowed down as I carried on. This may be because I have practiced particular parts more than others and not concentrated on the parts that contain hesitation and slower playing. I made faces when I went wrong which gave away to the audience where I went wrong though sometimes it wasn't noticeable. I should try and control my facial expressions when playing and when I go wrong I should just carry on. In the performance, I don't look like I'm enjoying myself and I am but the audience doesn't know this. I will get more emotionally involved by really hearing the piece rather than just practicing it. My hair covers up my face a lot which could psychologically be a thing that hides me a little bit. I should try singing and playing with my hair back to see how this affects my performance and see if it makes it better.

My practice routine is effective but I don't think I am using it right. I practice the bits I know better more because I feel more confident when I do but I must practice the parts I am not comfortable with yet to get them up to scratch. I will not change it because I feel like it is working, I just need to apply it to the areas I am not confident with yet and it will help me.

From this experience, I have learnt that I am not too confident performing by myself. To gain confidence I could perform in front of my family and friends more often to get used to playing by myself. Also, just to practice more in general to feel more prepared when performing to an audience.






No comments:

Post a Comment